Essiespice Okro Stew with Coco-For-Garlic & Mango Chili Medley Sauces
- 2 Lbs of Oxtail meat
- 1 lb of Jumbo Prawns
- 1 lb of Blue crabs or land crabs cleaned.
- 3 packs of Okro/Okra or about 40-50 oz chopped.
- 4 Tablespoons Essiespice Coco-For-Garlic sauce https://www.essiespice.com/shop/coco-for-garlic
- 1.5 Cups of water/Vegetable or Beef Broth/Stock
- 3 Tablespoon of freshly blended Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly blended Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons of Salt
- 1/3 Cup of Red Palm Oil
- 1 Tablespoons Coconut Oil; melted
- 3 Habanero or Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 30 Oz of Fresh Tomato (About 6 medium sized tomatoes) blended
- 6 Oz Tomato Paste
- 3 Medium sized Onions; sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of Mango Chili Medley Sauce https://www.essiespice.com/shop/mango-chili-medley-spicy
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, deep cooking pot at medium heat
- Add 1 tablespoon garlic, about 1/2 cup onion, and allow onions to cook slowly to brown on medium to low heat
- While onions caramelize, blend fresh tomatoes with the Habanero/Scotch bonnet pepper
- Add the Oxtails to the pot and stir coating the meat with the garlic and onions. Do this for an addition 2-3 minutes on high heat to allow the oxtails to sear. You can now add the water to the oxtails with a pinch of salt and one tablespoon of Essiespice Coco-For-Garlic sauce. Stir continuously for another minute allowing even distribution of sauce and salt and reduce heat to a low simmer to allow oxtails to cook. This can take about 45 minutes.
- In another saucepan, heat up the red palm oil on medium heat. Add the remainder of the onions, blended scotch bonnet peppers and garlic
- Turn heat down and allow to cook still stirring continuously for even cooking of onions and garlic. Allow to cook until onions begin to slightly wilt and caramelize.
- Add blended tomato to the onions along with the tomato paste and bring the heat back up slight below medium heat so the sauce can simmer and thicken. This will help bring out the sugars in the tomatoes and onions to flavor your sauce. Add the remainder of the Coco-For-Garlic sauce to the sauce and allow to cook again on low to medium heat.
- Sauce needs to continue cooking for 20 - 25 minutes. Check every 8 to ten minutes and stir to allow sauce cook evenly.
- Add the stock we obtained from steaming the oxtail to the sauce and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the crabs and shrimp to the sauce and continue simmering for an additional 10 minutes. After this, add the okro and the cooked oxtails and stir in the Mango Chili Medley for additional sweetness and kick. Add the remainder of the salt, stir and allow for all ingredients to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. This should serve between 4-5 people as a side to Rice, Eba, Kenkey, Banku or Akple.